The Cesia spring
Also called “Fountain of Rua”, the Cesia Spring is located in Corso Cavour, near the source of Scarnabecco. Cesia is called because it was built – in 1606 – commissioned by the bishop Angelo Cesi, to collect water from the hill of the Rocca. The source, restored in 1705, the center shows the eagle, symbol of Todi, dominated from the tree on the mountain that belongs to the emblem of Cesi. The side tanks in cement were added in 1925.
Palazzo Landi – Corradi
Via del Seminario
The Palace-Landi Corradi is on Via del Seminario and is considered one of the finest examples of private architecture of the late sixteenth century in Todi. It ‘also known as Palazzo del Vignola, because the facade is embellished by lavish travertine portal, attributed precisely to this artist. Built by the noble family Corradi, then marry into Landi, the building was purchased in 1712 by the bishop of Todi, Filippo Antonio Gualterio from Orvieto: partly restored, the great palace welcomed in 1720 the national seminar. The last general reconstruction of the building, built by Bishop A. Maria De Santis, took place in 1954.
No longer seminar, the building is currently used for exhibitions. In particular, the last week of April each year, it held a major exhibition of antiques, considered indispensable by the industry and by amateurs, who here can buy paintings, ceramics, jewellery, bronzes and many other arts objects.
Via Cesia – Via della Piana
Palazzo Pongelli, formerly Benedettoni, is located in the historic center of Todi, and blends harmoniously inserted between the Romanesque-Gothic church of S. Ilario the XII century and the Spring Scarnabecco, which dates from the thirteenth.
The palace was built between the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century, on the ruins of the house in which – according to tradition – Jacopone from Todi spent his short married life with Vanna dei Conti of Collemedio. Can still be seen in the halls of the main floor, the frescoes painted by the greatest painters of the seventeenth century, as Zuccari, Polinori, Paolo Sensini and Bartolomeo Barbiani, unique and valuable pictorial evidence on the life of Jacopone, the “Jester of God”.
Church of Santa Maria
Via Santa Maria in Camuccia
It stands on the homonymous street, in the center of Todi. The church clearly shows the stratification of centuries. Built in a sacred area, already in pre-Roman times, the first structure dates back to the eighth century, but was completely rebuilt in the thirteenth century; It was later enlarged and modified in the fourteenth century and again rebuilt in the seventeenth. The building was part of the Dominican convent, inhabited by monks until the Napoleonic decrees of 1810.
The facade, square, is decorated with an elegant portal supported by two columns with Corinthian capitals.
It features a special facility with two floors, with a single nave with side chapels and a semicircular apse. The lower church still retains the original plant, with two entrances and small openings for lighting; The canopy cover is a fight, with the point set quite low.
The interior, much altered, contains various works of art, including some frescoes of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, a precious thirteenth-century wooden sculpture, representing the Virgin enthroned with the Child blessing, and a beautiful painting of the seventeenth century, painted by Barbiani Bartolomeo, known as Poliziano.
Under the church were recently discovered a Roman tomb and archaeological finds ranging from the third century BC to the first century A.D.
via Circonvallazione Orvietana Est
It is located outside the city walls, not far from Porta Romana, along the main road which was a necessary step to enter the city. Its construction dates back to the first century AD, that is, the period of greatest expansion of housing and urban Tuderte Municipium Roman. It is likely that the building have also attended magistrates and private citizens – for reasons of prestige – financed games. In fact, the shows were often linked initiatives of political propaganda staff and noble, who endeavoured to “sponsor” visibility and prestige.
The structure was elliptical, with axes that measure had respectively 96 and 70 meters. Among the preserved remains you look at the walls and a circular corridor, with a vaulted ceiling. On the opposite side it is a visible part of the substructure of the tiers: the tract is curved along about 27 meters high and 3, with two arched openings. Two other sections of the wall are located on the adjacent road Orvieto. The decking original is higher than the current, for the various ground settlements that have occurred here.
Via Cesia – via della Piana
It was built in 1241 by Messer Scarnabecco (or Scannabecco) of Fagnani from Bologna, mayor of Todi. It consists of a portico, supported by seven columns with capitals, which contains four tubs. The water, which seeped from one tank to another, was used for food uses, but also for water the horses of those who fought for Todi. The source formed throughout the Middle Ages the most important point of the city’s water supply. For the defence of this artefact, rightly considered strategic, the city statutes prescribed that: ”nullus possit nec debeat in dicta fonte Scarnabicci lavare nec aliquam suzurram facere”.
Partially destroyed by a landslide, the source Scarnabecco was rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The medieval structure remain only the columns and capitals.
Piazza del Popolo
Palazzo Cesi (Cesi Buildig), is located near the Cathedral, set back from the line of buildings bordering the western side of the square. The building, built by the rich and powerful family of Cesi, from the first half of the sixteenth century scholars, not unanimously, believe that the project can be attributed to Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. The imposing Renaissance mansion features an interior courtyard and rooms well painted, decorated with rich wooden ceilings. It was a prestigious private residence of the bishops Paolo Emilio, and Angelo Federico Cesi. It was also the site of the Lincei Academy, which was founded here at the beginning of the seventeenth century. Currently the building belongs to the University of Perugia.